The Military Manpower Administration (MMA) has released their statement regarding Seungri’s military enlistment, and they have decided that his enlistment will be postponed for 3 months, until June 25. On June 25, the MMA will once again analyze the situation, and determine whether they will postpone his enlistment again, or if he will enlist. They have also confirmed they will work to revise the law, preventing men from escaping to the military to avoid criminal investigation.
The MMA’s full statement has been translated below:
This is the official position of the Military Manpower Administration regarding Singer Seungri’s active duty military enlistment postponement.
The Military Manpower Administration (Commissioner Ki Chan Soo) has decided to postpone singer Seungri’s (Lee Seung Hyun) active duty enlistment date for the following reasons.
- The applicant submitted his application for postponement due to the investigations he is facing.
- The investigation agencies requested a postponement of his enlistment date to the Military Manpower Administration in order to be able to thoroughly and consistently investigate the applicant.
- Therefore, following Article 61 of the Military Service Act and Article 129 of the Enforcement Decree of the Military Service Act, the applicant’s military enlistment date has been postponed.
Once the time period of postponement expires, the applicant’s enlistment date will be rescheduled according to the Military Service Act.
- Military Service Act Article 60 and Article 128 of the Enforcement Decree of the Military Service Act: Enlistment postponed when imprisoned.
- Military Service Act Article 61 and Article 129 of the Enforcement Decree of the Military Service Act: Other reasons, unavoidable due to necessity.
In the future, the Military Manpower Administration will push for a revision to the law, so that mandatory military enlistment can be postponed under the authority of the MMA if someone is trying to enlist in the military to escape the public eye after causing a social controversy, or if there is a request from the head of an investigation agency due to an important investigation.
— Military Manpower Administration
Back on March 18, Seungri announced through his legal counsel that he had submitted his request to postpone his enlistment, due to the myriad of controversies and scandals surrounding his name at the moment.